The following list is a list of actual questions I received from a soon-to-be pastor’s wife:
- How do you balance family and ministry? With your husband devoting so much time to the church, how do you handle that?
- What has been your biggest struggle? Biggest joy?
- What have you found has been the way you can best support your husband in his role?
- How do your kids handle being a pastor’s kid?
- How do you handle the expectations or “pedestal” that people put on you when you are the pastor’s family?
- How are you intentional about carving out family time?
- How have you overcome or embraced the typical “stigma” of being a pastor’s wife?
- How do you handle church gossip, especially when it revolves around you or your family?
- What are some resources that have helped you in this role of pastor’s wife?
- How do you make sure that you are getting spiritually fed?
- Is it a challenge for you to say “no” to a ministry or event because you are the pastor’s wife? How do you handle that?
- If you could give one piece of advice to a wife just entering the ministry alongside her husband, what would it be?
Other areas that affect pastors’ wives:
- expectations of you / by you
- marriage issues
- handling criticism / conflict
- emotional issues: depression, anger, doubt, fear, bitterness, loneliness
- burnout / discouragement
- keeping Sundays special
- change / transition
- identity crisis
And here are a few more areas of discussion:
- Tell us about your family.
- Where do you live / church / husband’s role?
- What is your role at the church? Are you on staff?
- How did you become the pastor’s wife?
- How has being in the ministry helped you grow in your relationship with God?
- What does your “quiet time” look like?
- How do you relax/recharge?
- How do you balance family, ministry, etc.?
- How do you keep the ministry and church a positive thing in your kids eyes?
- How have your kids coped with being PKs?
- What is the most challenging thing about being a pastor’s wife?
- What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
- What is your favorite thing about ministry? Least favorite?
- What do you feel called to do in life?
- How has the call on your life and the call on your husband’s life been woven together?
- Are you an extrovert or an introvert? How does this affect your role as a pw?
- Do you have a mentor for ministry or life?
- What do you wish someone had told you when you began ministry? Or, what’s the best advice you have ever been given?
- What book or other resource has been the biggest help to you?